- Eat a healthy breakfast – If you binge at night, you most likely aren’t hungry in the morning… So if you eat a protein filled breakfast in the morning, then your blood sugar will be easy to balance throughout the day, minimizing sugary cravings
- Eat regularly – If you eat a nutritional breakfast, lunch, and dinner and healthy snacks in between, like fruits, your hunger will stay balanced
- Watch your choice in drinks – Sugary drinks spike sugary cravings (I try to stick with water as much as possible)
- Brush your teeth after every meal – Cleans your pallet
- Go to bed earlier and prioritize your sleep – This has to do with hormones… You stay awake and deprive yourself from a hormone that drives your craving for sugar and carbs at night, so if you go to bed you will give your body what you really are craving
Now, for suggestions as to what you should eat before bed… Try to pick foods with magnesium or tryptophan in them. Tryptophan is an amino acid that is found in turkey and some other foods, which helps with sleep. Magnesium is found in avocados and also helps with sleep and eases waking up in the morning. Cherries are a good food to eat because they contain natural melatonin. Lastly, whole grains with protein combined together, like crackers and yogurt work as a good pre-sleep snack. Foods with caffeine, high amounts of fat, and/or alcohol should be avoided because they have the opposite effect of the above suggested foods.
Please! Don’t hesitate to email me any questions!!